[TDA_announce] TDA in IAU

Griffin, Elizabeth Elizabeth.Griffin at nrc-cnrc.gc.ca
Sat Apr 25 14:29:45 EDT 2015

Hi Bob,

Yes it may be unwieldy, but I was really trying to protect the TDA from a different fate - that of being labelled as "Data and Documentation", as the EC seems to want.  I accept that if 'm the only minority voice then I will go along with what the rest want, but I would seriously recommend discussing with at least the President of Div G (Ignai Ribas, Spain) the possibility of a new WG being hosted by his Division instead (or as well).  All of the topics now represented by Commissions of Div G were forefront topics at the TDA Symposium in 2011.  I just believe it will be harder to "grow out of" a label that a TDA WG is only about data, than it will be to *include* that label from a more solid position within astrophysics.  It would be equally difficult to emerge from a cradle within Astroinformatics and into astrophysics, without having earned the label of being only about data and computing.

Cheers,

Elizabeth