[TDA_announce] TDA in IAU

Prajval Shastri prajval.shastri at gmail.com
Mon Apr 27 07:51:28 EDT 2015

Dear everybody

The scientific scope of TDA as we conceived it spans several astrophysical
sub-disciplines and therefore several IAU Divisions. This was the reason
that DivisionB was the appropriate umbrella to launch it from because the
activities of DivisionB span the science of all other divisions. If we
propose a WG now (which i am in favour of) its future course will be
determined primarily by the  activities it conducts, and can be steered to
emerge the way the WG desires: science-focused and all of that.

WGs with limited goals are likely to fulfil them within a limited
time-frame and therefore are/will be temporary. On the other hand, TDA
belongs to the future and therefore, within the IAU structural definition,
its future is in becoming a commission. As long as we are under a
commission that is happy to incubate such a WG into a future commission
with a vision that we envisaged in our original proposal, I believe we will
be fine. There is already precedent to activities we visualise in the form
of the  New Horizons meeting.

Regards

Prajval